5.28.2008

Since I'm just sitting wasting time, not doing things I should do (prepare for presentation, find teacher appreciation gifts, make cards for card group), I thought I would put up a post.  A novel idea!

Let's explore my nothingness a bit more, shall we?  For posterity.

What did I just eat?
A peanut-butter cheese sandwich.  Sounds gross, uh?  Typically I avoid weird food combinations like the plague.  But this one was introduced to me by my brother at a young and impressionable age, before I knew that eating such nonsense would seem strange to others and make my thighs swell to the thunder category.  So this is a delicacy is only allowed when I am pregnant.  Otherwise, it's taboo.  How do you make it?  Spread peanut butter, thinly, on a slice of wheat bread (the wheat bread taking it from Straight Tracked to Heart Attack up a notch to Foods to Avoid). Top with a couple of slices of cheddar cheese.  Toast.  Eat.  Try not to eat another one.

What am I wearing?
My gym clothes, still.  Need to get dressed for the day sometime soon.

What's on my mind?
The ice cream man and that song his truck plays.  Does anyone know if that tune has a name?  It's the same tune that the ice cream man that stalked my childhood neighborhood played.  I only know by a series of "dun, dum, dum, da, da, da" s.  Do you think it's universal tune for ice cream men?  What if you bought an ice cream truck and wanted to play an instrumental "Stairway to Heaven?"  You know, to symbolize the euphoria children feel when they actually get to purchase an ice cream from the ice cream man.  Would that be allowed?  Am I the only neurotic miser, other than my mother, that never allows their children to buy ice cream from a balding man in a white dingy truck?

What will I do next?
Put C down for his nap.  Tell Miss A to sit down for lunch.  Continue to life my ironic life sitting at the computer, wasting more time as I worry about the things that I'm not getting done.

Oh, and we had a great weekend.  DH's dad came in town for a day and half to help put DH in a new calling in our church.  We enjoyed ice cream together, visited and generally just had a great time.  Monday was Memorial Day, or better known in our house as Miss A's Day.  We started a tradition about 3 years ago that the kids each get a non-birthday day in the year to dictate what they want the family to do together.  Mr. M gets President's Day and C will probably get Labor Day once he can tells us what he wants other than, "Yeah."  We spent the day hiking in the foothills, eating DickDonald's for lunch and BBQing at my parents.  It was great day that ended with very tired kids!  


7 comments:

Laura C. said...

I have a girlfriend that refers to the ice cream man as "the MUSIC man"! Her kids don't even know he sells ice cream. And she's perfectly thrilled by that. No begging for frozen treats from that bald man in the dingy truck you were talking about. I'm thinking the "music" man might be my strategy too. At least until they're old enough to figure it out for themselves.

Carrie said...

that's foul, julia! i used to dread it when my mom went out of town when i was little because my dad always put peanut butter cheese sandwiches in my lunchbox. so not a good memory.

Heidi said...

Ha. I was just going to say my kids think the ice cream truck is just a music truck. But someone already did. . .

Megan said...

My clever sister in law tells her kids that when the ice cream man plays his music, it means the ice cream is all gone. ha ha!

crystal said...

I refuse to get fleeced by the ice cream man.

Rochelle said...

I never let my kids buy from the ice cream man. I tell them he charges too much and I can buy them lots more ice cream from the regular store. So, no you are not alone. AND-I have never heard of peanut butter and cheese sandwiches.

Rachel said...

Peanut butter and cheese sandwiches rock.
I don't know if this will really stem the tide of the public opinion posted here on your blog however, seeing as I had the same older brother ... although I DO believe it was you who first showed me the delight of the sandwich. (Did you know I specifically registered for a toaster oven for the wedding just so I could make said cheese and peanut butter goodness? True story.)