I take issue with this design feature for a few reasons:
1) Simple, clean and plain are preferred when it comes to dressing me and my posterity. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal.
2) I have deep seeded issues with children's cartoons like Arthur. Why can an aardvark cavort around with a bunny as a best friend, talking up a storm, yet own a dog that can only bark? How does that make any sense? I realize it is a plot element in almost all children's entertainment, but come on, it makes no logical sense! Of course talking animals don't make sense either, but let's not get into that.
3) Faces, more specifically eyes, bother me on inantimate objects. I have a laundry basket brimming over with unloved, unused stuffed animals that I just can't get rid of. They have eyes! They can see me, I know it.
So yesterday, as I perused the swings at my local baby megastore, I was struck once again with the faces. Although I've eased up over the years and permitted plenty of smiley lovable clothing into our home, large furniture items just shouldn't go there. It's wrong. One particular swing, which had a great design with a retractable mobile and timer, had the most garish large face as the headrest cushion. When I inspected underneath it to see if it could be removed, there it was again, printed on the entire seat cushion. Ugh.
In the end I settled on the lesser evil: a swing that had giant ears on the cushion and featured one very cute smiling face I would never tire of ...
P.S. Wondering why I was buying a swing? Well, in 9 years of babies, I've never owned a swing. But I borrowed one from my sister when Baby Honey was born. And seeing as how she is uprooting her family and returning to the land of stars and alamos, I had to return said swing to its owner. And, furthermore, as I have become dependent on the late afternoon snooze only achieved in the swing, it became a necessary evil. Since his head is about 1 inch from the top bar and his feet are threatening to dangle, I give him about 3 weeks. At that time one very lucky person will be able to buy an almost new cuddly lamb swing at a fraction of the price. And me? Well, I've always said my sanity doesn't have a price tag. But this week it cost $159.95.



8 comments:
Take it back! I have one you can borrow until you move...for FREE. :)
Oh! I forgot I wanted to comment on the majority of your post. Much like you, I can't stand anything human-esque. Manequins, dolls, you name it! They freak me out to the Nth degree!
You had both Dave and me laughing. (The Arthur phenomenon has always bothered me, too.) And it's true--the faces seem a little ridiculous on everything. Although the ears framing Honey's face are funny and precious all at the same time.
Arthur is a aardvark? I guess I never knew what he was. Huh.
All of my babies only liked to nap in motion until about 6-7 months old. We have a lovely cream, sage and black plaid swing. No faces or eyes whatsoever :)
I think the swing is necessary ... of course it is my swing that caused the necessary evil. As for the hanging close to the edge ... Jane's feet dangled for I don't know how long, but the swing STAYED. She needed it. I needed it.
P.S. Faces frighten me too. Why do they have to do that? What's so hard about finding fabric for baby stuff that is not garish?
How can Honey be so tall? He's like only three days old, right?
How come everyone call this baby Honey....I am so out of the loop.
You are so much fun!
Post a Comment