11.26.2009

T-Day 2009

Menu:
1, 21 lb. fresh turkey
1 Pioneer Woman's Brine recipe
7 lbs. of mashed potatoes
7 lbs. of mashed sweet potatoes
8 C of turkey gravy
2 bags of frozen corn
3 dozen homemade rolls
A-mazing stuffing (made with French bread and homemade wheat)
5 Pies (Pumpkin, Dutch Apple, Coconut Cream, German Chocolate and Mint Chocolate)
3 lbs. of butter
1 pint of heavy cream
1 quart of whole milk

A lot, a lot of calories

Yield: 7 very satisfied dinner guests


What a memorable day. I really wanted to take my kitchen through the gauntlet to see what it could do. Over the course of 2 days I churned out the best meal that I've ever made in my life. I don't think that it can ever be duplicated and all other years will compare to this (isn't that always the case with the first?). I made everything from scratch (except the pie shells ... I don't do pastry so well). So, so yummy.

The best moment: When I asked DH to try the stuffing before we were ready to sit down and he seriously started groaning and whooping and jumping up and down. That made me blush.

The worst: When Marie casually mentioned that the toaster was on fire. Which, when I checked, she was right. A raging fire in my toast oven. The toasted coconut for the top of the pie had set alight and I completely freaked out. I thought my kitchen (and maybe us) were going up in smoke and ashes. Luckily, DH is good under pressure. He calmly walked over, grabbed a wet rag, pulled out the tray and tossed in the sink and added water. What a guy. Too bad he's sacked out on the couch right now (at 8:45), or I might take him home with me.

After dinner, cleanup and naps (we ate at 1:30) we went downtown to check out the Festival. Wow. That put me in the mood. To put up lights. And the kids? Shouted "Jingle Bells" all the way ... home. Great night. This girl's a happy one. So much to be grateful for. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Amy W said...

You are amazing, Julia! Sounds like a super yummy Thanksgiving! I can't believe you cooked all that from scratch. It is so intimidating to me to cook a Thanksgiving feast. I'm glad I haven't had to do that yet! You are so talented! Can't wait to see you at Christmas!

Francais Frit said...

Oh I am laughing.... in the mood TO PUT UP LIGHTS.

I wish I had been a part of your 23,000 calorie feast. Sounds dreamy. Nice work there.

Jen said...

I am a little disappointed - only 5 pies. What happened to twenty something:) We missed spending Thanksgiving with you this year. I am glad you had a great time. I am trying to find the three layer pumpkin pie recipe!

crystal said...

What a great day! And i demand the recipe for that stuffing.

NOW.

You look radiant in that last photo!