7.07.2010

Snip, snip

Just wondering why it is that the Costco door person puts a smiley face on the back of receipt at every Costco I've been to.  California in a variety of cities, Utah and, now, Idaho.  Is it something that they have to qualify on?  "How well can you sketch a smiley face?"  "Can you sketch in under 4 seconds?"  Is it really for the kids?  Or do they do it because it amuses themselves?  Is it company-wide standards that all door people must be able to count quickly (or pretend to at least), carry on a conversation with a coworker while doing so, and then draw the obligatory face?  Would I be scorned if I said, "Don't bother, I'm in a rush and my kids think the faces are dumb."?

It would be one thing if they could do a characture in that amount of time with the hightlighter on the back of the receipt.  Then I'd gladly keep it.  But as it is, they hand over the badly drawn face to my child, who then stares a bit at it before shoving it into my hands.  And I'm left feeling a tad burdened.  Do I throw it away right in front of them?  Or do I keep it?

Why am I giving this so much thought?

I cut all of the boys' hair tonight.  I usually let them go all California dreamin' all summer long, let their mops grow out and get sun bleached.  But all 3 had extremely long hair, and I could just see them looking like wannabe Biebers by the end of the summer.  So, off it came.  I realized Honey looks a lot better with long hair.  Short hair just makes his head look skinnier.  And Little C has been hiding half his head underneath his overly long hair.  Seriously.  He grew like 3 inches after I took of 3 inches.  And Mr. M?  Well, the kid has the thickest, straightest hair in the family.  I told him that he was going to have dark hair just like his dad.  To which he replied, "Yay, I just don't want to be half bald."  Ouch.  And that's when I dashed his young hopes and dreams and told him there's not a darn thing he can do about it.  Dang.
The boys pre-cut.

I finally started running again this week.  I've been off running for 8 weeks now because of the stress fracture.  So far, so good.  And I'm hopeful that I won't re-injure it.  But nervous.  Very nervous that I will.  Any one have any good tips on how to avoid that from happening?  Other than stop running all together?  

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

This may be one of my favorite posts of yours! I think the same things about the Costco smiley face, but never knew they did it everywhere since I have only had children since living in Rancho. I always want to say "Don't bother" but always just fake a smile as they draw it and hand it to me and I show Mason who doesn't care enough to even look. Thanks for making me laugh and for documenting such things as this!!!

A Roper said...

My girls FIGHT over that happy face on the receipt. They have to take turns holding it. Hahaha! :)

Rachel said...

Yes, it is just for the kids. How do I know? I've gone solo and I received no smiley face. And Jane dies for the smiley face. She loves it. Once the worker forgot to put it on the back and Jane looked at the receipt, flipped it over, gave it a look of chagrin and started crying. She DID NOT say goodbye to that employee.

Rochelle said...

My kids fight over who gets to give the "ticket" to the guy at the door and think the smiley face is required for exit. I'm glad your stress fracture is better.

Sasha said...

My kids used to love the smiley, but don't care anymore :)

I love your blog. BTW, I found some "letters" adressed to Miss A the other day. Her little friend here in CA still thinks about her.